Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Initial Thoughts. (Machinima Film #2)

Now that 'Better Life' (Machinima Film #1) is complete, it's time to start thinking about the next film. My normal work calendar is just about to hit a hectic spot and so I imagine this project will run for a while.

Here are some of my initial thoughts and considerations, followed by a rough plan of action:

Story-Line: A circular story, reflecting upon stages of life, growing older and passing on roles.

Characters: I would like to place more of an emphasis on the avatar appearance and face in this next film and I would like there to be more than one central character if possible; although more than two plus a camera-man may present problems.

Location: Again, I plan to use Second Life as a setting. SL appears to be optimised for PC's, and as I run a Mac (1.67 GHz G4 Powerbook) with a slow connection (0.5 Mbps), lag and unstable frame rates are a real issue. The majority of 'Better Life' was set inside a 20 x 20 x 10m black box floating just below the cloud-line some 50m up in the air, and as the next release (v.1.9.1) of the Second Life viewer promises improvements in frame-rate through occlusion culling (basically not rendering objects that are blocked from view), it would be sensible to once again focus on a story that can be set inside some form of structure or room. Also the next release includes hardware lighting features that might be worth exploring.

Music: Again, I would like music to be given a high priority. This time however I would like to use music that I have composed and produced myself specially for this production. I would like to compose the music before any filming takes place although after I have a good idea of the of the set, props, effects and the appearance of the characters - allowing more opportunities to integrate the music into the film more fully.

Planning - Order of Events:

  • Design and Build Set and Props
  • Design and Develop Key Characters
  • Explore any Special Effects
  • Develop Musical Themes (Draft)
  • Finalise Story and Create the Story-Board
  • Compose Music
  • Filming
  • Editing and Post-Production

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home